OK...if you haven't checked out this Kirsten's blog, you NEEEEED to! She is a wife and momma who, like many of us, is addicted to and pins away on Pinterest and rarely puts it use...I MEAN WHOA!!! SHE DOES!!! She runs a house, manages a toddler, and puts a pin to the test EVERYDAY!!!
So, I bet you can't guess where i found this pin?? HER BLOG! so i made it for breakfast this morning and um HELLO! amazingness!! and best of all...easy!!
I used her recipe tweaks:
PS... for some reason i didn't have baking powder... :-/ so a good alternate for 1 TEASPOON of baking powder:
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. ***NOTE: I do not have a 10 1/2 by 7 inch dish so i used my 8 x 8...came out fantastically***
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, Chinese five spice/Cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts (if you use them), half the strawberries/berries mixture and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, walnuts and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal).
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
4. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shimmy/shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.
This smells REALLY GOOD when it's in the oven!!! it tastes UUUUUHMAZING!!! i just may make the dry ingredients as a staple on the kitchen counter because it's seriously really yummy!!!
Try it...check out Kirsten...HAVE A WONDERFUL TUESDAY!!!